Tuesday 5 April 2011

Ind vs SL: Didn't know how to celebrate win, says Dhoni

MUMBAI: A joyous Indian captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni said, he didn't know how to celebrate India's magnificent World Cup win over Sri Lanka, minutes after the six-wicket triumph at the Wankhede Stadium on Saturday. ( Read: Dhoni's Devils are World Champions ) ( Read: World Cup the ultimate thing: Sachin Tendulkar ) ( Read: Skipper Dhoni hits out at critics ) ( Read: Delhi boy Gambhir is toast of Mumbai )

When asked why didn't he go wild after such a massive win, Dhoni said, "emotions were running very high. As soon as I hit the six, I was almost half-way down the pitch and I thought I would grab the stumps at the non-striker's end as souveneirs. But then I saw Yuvraj standing there and I was afraid he will grab that stump. I then told myself, forget hugging Yuvraj, let me grab a stump first. That confusion made me stand still in the middle of the pitch."

Dhoni also hailed the Wankhede crowd and said despite losing the wickets of Virender Sehwag and Sachin Tendulkar, they applauded every single as if it was a boundary.

He also hailed the team's unity and he said it was a year and a half ago when the team set winning the World Cup as its goal. "We wanted to win this for each other and for the nation.

"Everything that we were doing was keeping the World Cup in mind. It was a challenge to ensure that our best players don't get injured before the World Cup. But we managed it. The format also helped us to peak at the right time. There were a lot of league games and that allowed us to field all combinations and arrive at our best team in the knockouts."

When asked why the Indian team is doing so well under him in all formats, he simply said with a smile, "I am lucky."

He then added, "I think the guys have responded well to my leadership.

Man of the series, Yuvraj Singh, who had promised that he will reveal who was the 'special person' who he is playing this World Cup for, he said, "Sorry to disappoint you all. This is not for my girlfriend. It is for Sachin Tendulkar."

No comments:

Post a Comment